Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Struggles and Decisions

This particular post was difficult for me to commit to sharing. You may think that I am 'reaching' as you read my thoughts,feelings and conclusions...that is okay with me. More than anything this is just a sounding board where I can feel safe to share. In fact I had my post up yesterday, and even though i am reluctant to share I've decided that it's for the best. So, here goes...

I have the feeling sometimes that some people wonder why I wear my religion and my politics on my sleeves, out for everyone to witness. I am positive that there are those who think I shouldn't be so bold, because it might hurt other people. There is a reason I am bold about my beliefs, my convictions. We have been counseled to stand for truth and righteousness at all times and in all places. So, that is what I do, and that is my driving force for sharing my beliefs, my value system, through this and other social media. I am not naive, I doubt that my sharing changes anyone else's mind, so why do this then? Because someone has to. We live in a time when 'conservatives' are not looked on in a positive light. We have been labeled as 'bigots', 'narrow-minded', and often thought of as 'brain washed'. Obviously, I beg to differ.

You won't find a more caring, compassionate people, than those I associate with and call my friends, and family. Simply put, we are misunderstood, and others won't take the time to really listen and understand where we are coming from. I won't go into the why of that, it is what it is, and I can't change that.

For example, I know some people think that because African Americans weren't allowed to hold the Priesthood in our church for many years we are racist. I well remember when we heard the news on the radio of this change in policy. Do you know the first thing I did upon hearing this news? (besides saying a prayer of gratitude) I called my dad and told him. Yes, in the days of no cell phones, and Pat and I had just moved back to Utah, we found a pay phone and called my parents because it was HUGE to us. HUGE! Do you know what my dad did? He cried. He wept tears of joy. That is how racist we are.

The reason I decided to write this particular post was because of my own post-election blues. I won't go into why I wanted Mitt Romney to win, or why I don't support Barack Obama, you don't need to know that. But what I will share is the reasons I feel why the election went the way it went. My opinion doesn't have to do with minorities, or women, or what Mitt did wrong or what Obama did right, it just has to do with my feelings, my thoughts. You are welcome to disagree with me...just don't tell me, okay?

So, here are my thoughts, in a nutshell, regarding the election.

First of all, I really, really dislike it when someone loses an election and their party quickly throws them under the bus. Sometimes it's deserved, sometimes it isn't. In this case, it is not. Republicans need to get over themselves.

Secondly, while Mitt Romney would have been our best solution for fixing the problems in the USA, I don't think Americans were ready for him. I think we have to hit bottom before people are going to wake up. 

Third - I believe that had Romney won the election there would have been riots in the streets. I think all hell would have broken loose. Conservatives are called that for a reason - we don't make a fuss about things. I think that needs to change, it is time for us to take a stand and voice our opinion.

Fourth - Romney being a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (aka Mormon) has done a lot of good for our church. People could see that he and Ann have raised their children well, that they have a good marriage, and they have learned about some of our standards and beliefs. I believe people will start asking more questions. Perhaps that is why the age limit for missionaries has changed. For the time being we will have more people interested in learning the truths we believe in.

Fifth - that being said, I believe that if Romney had become President, just the fact that he was president, that people who voted against him (not all, mind you) would have been against the church even more.

That pretty much sums up my feelings on the subject. We live in difficult times, and I think we will be continuing along that path for some time. I have hope in the future, and in our future leaders. No matter how you voted, I hope you do too. We all need to 'come together' and make America even greater than it is now.

No comments:

Post a Comment